chadkoh

chadkoh

A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing

A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing - Lawrence M. Krauss, Richard Dawkins This book was okay. Could've done without all the atheist name-dropping. Krauss is trying to be a fifth Horseman (or Beatle). The writing is not particularly clever. There was some new information in it about the shape of the universe that I was previously unaware/unclear about, not being a cosmologist. Krauss takes some gentle swipes at string and m theory, which was interesting since so much of popular physics books focus on these sexy topics. On the whole, its shortness is a virtue, and makes this book a "probably should read since I have all of the other outspoken atheist and popular physics books and this one sorta bridges the gap".

I think one of my most memorable takeaways from the book is his conclusion on how the states of nothing and something blend into one another in a quantum sense. He then says poetically:

the seemingly profound question of why there is something rather than nothing might be actually no more profound than asking why some flowers are red or some are blue.